Pages

Saturday 4 April 2015

When Dreams Come True

“I’ve realized..” Ummi began. “That I need to embrace my fears and allow myself to allow you to follow your dreams."

She smiled.

“I want my babies to be happy. And if this is what makes you both happy. Then go for it. Go fly to the ocean of knowledge.”

My head was lowered, my heart was filled with an overwhelming feeling of thankfulness. After all I had been through in recent months, Allah had surprised me with the most beautiful gifts. An opportunity to study in the land which was once home to His beloved Prophet (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam).

The desert heat swamped my face as I made my way down the staircase and onto the ground. We had landed. Directly in Madinah.

My heart was thumping out of excitement. I pinched myself to make sure that what was happening was true. I followed my brother, Salman into the check-out area. After finding our luggage we hopped into our hired taxi and made our way to the hotel.

I stared out of the window. Everything felt magical. As soon as I entered the city a sense of peace was felt in the atmosphere. A sense of tranquility had entered my grieving heart. Finally, this would be my new home for a while.

The tall, beautiful palm trees stunned my eyes. The sharp rays of the burning sun caused my eyes to sting with tears. And the distant sight of the Masjid minarets filled my stomach with butterflies. We were really here!

“Na’m. BarakAllahu Feek.” Salman replied to the driver who had dropped us off right outside our apartment. He waved the driver goodbye before turning to face me.

“So this is where we will be staying?” I squinted my eyes due to the strong sun light.

“Nope. This is the first student accommodation. Once we begin studies, they will separate us. You will be in the dorm with the girls, and I with the brothers.”

“Sounds promising!” I exclaimed. My forehead had already beads of sweat as I lifted my niqab a little to breathe in a bit more air.

“Bismillah!” Salman recited as he dragged the suitcases up the slope and into the reception area.

After settling into our apartment and after some sleep, myself and Salman made our way by foot to the Prophet’s mosque. I couldn’t stop smiling. Madinah hadn’t changed much since I last left. The markets were alive and bright with shoppers of all colours and ethnicity. There were greetings of Salaam by whoever you passed and the air as hot yet tranquil.

We arrived ten minutes later. I stopped for a moment. Treasuring this beautiful and awe-inspiring moment. I paused to reflect. Tears filled my eyes as I looked around the courtyard of the Masjid. I wanted to fall onto the floor and make sujood and thank Allah for this blessing. All the hardship I felt previously, I forgot for a moment. And I knew this was the double ease Allah promised after every hardship.

“Alhamdulilah.” I whispered as I walked into the Masjid as the sound of Adhaan began to echo in the city, the Adhaan echoed in my heart and mind as I repeated after the words. After the Adhaan was over, I sat down on the hot marble floor to make my Du’aas. I poured out my heart and then rose, to pray my Salaah.

[Part of a fictional story inspired by my love for Madinah. :)]

Photo credits: Sister Sameera.

No comments: