Pages

Friday 26 September 2014

Sunnah Living [Taking the first step]

Assalaamu Alaykum girlies (and guys, since this will benefit both genders...I think?) ,

So today's post will not be your standard Al Musaafirah post, rather, today we are going to be talking about my DREEAAAM! Yes yes, i''m always dreaming. Anyways, I stumbled upon this blog recently and the sister was discussing her dream of 'Sunnah living.' She had a list for personal hygiene and beauty, for her home and clothes, and how she wanted to follow the Sunnah as much as possible in these areas. So, that's when I decided to make it my dream also, and hopefully after reading this blog post, you will want to do the same!

One of the areas that caught my eye was the one pertaining to beauty and personal hygiene. Its been quite a while now since I stopped using smelly/perfumed creams, lotions and swapped it with natural Sunnah stuff. The benefits I've witnessed from using these products is what inspired me to write this post. I'm going to list some of the Sunnah products I use and how they've helped and benefited me.

Lets feel beautiful, the Sunnah way! :)

1) Palestinian olive oil - Before I discovered olive oil, I used to be the girl who used to love my body shop products. The perfumed lotions, creams and lip balms did not only  smell incredibly lush, but (I felt) they were also pretty good for my skin. Until, I realised, they were in fact, not. You see, since I'm someone with really dry/ sensitive skin - especially in Winters, using any kind of perfumed, chemical containing products, is literally poison for my skin. So, thats when olive oil came into my life. Not only are olives generally so beneficial for our health, but the olive oil is also so healthy for our skin and hair. After hearing of its religious and health benefits, I practically use olive oil all the time for everything, from my hair to my skin. 

[Palestinian olive oil is quite strong, however if you find its OK on your skin, then I highly recommend you continue to use it!]

The Messenger (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Eat olive oil and anoint yourselves with it, for it is from a blessed tree." (Tirmidhi At'ima, 43)

And a tree (olive) that springs forth from mount Sinai, that grows oil, and (it is a) relish for eaters." [Surah al-Muminoon 23:20].



So, some benefits:

- It makes the perfect moisturiser! - Oilve oil is amazingly moisturising and perfect for dry scaly skin.
- It makes your skin glow - Olive oil gives your face a nice shine. Who needs all these weird, glowy products when you have it in a bottle of olive oil!
- It contains anti-oxidants - Olive oil can fight skin infections! I had an ulcer in my mouth the other day and after a applying some olive oil on the burning area, I woke up the next day to find it had gone, Alhamdulilah!
- Olive oil is really good if you are suffering from evil eye, possession or effects of black magic. Many Raqi's recommend it to their clients.



2) Ithmid - I call this the natural, sunnah eyeliner! Itihmid is antimony, or more commonly known as Kohl. It is a fine, dark, shiny stone which is grounded into a bottle and should be applied to the wet line of the eye. Ithmid also has benefits! Not surprising, since it is something that the Prophet (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) used, and we too should feel motivated to follow in his footsteps. Bear in mind, so many people will sell improper versions of Ithmid so if someone would like to order some, I know some sisters who sell the proper version.



The benefits?

Those who dream of long eyelashes, you need to look no further. :)

"Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam said: 'Use kuhl made of ithmid on the eye; it brightens the eyesight, and strengthens and increases the growth of the eye lashes'. [Tirmidhi]



3) Miswaak - This twig that has amazing benefits. I went through a period where I stopped using toothpaste altogether and only used the Miswaak. I found that using the Miswaak not help me keep connected to the Sunnah but also made my teeth feel a lot stronger and stay a lot cleaner throughout the day. The benefits of Miswaak is that it helps remove bad odour from the mouth, it strengthens the teeth and gums and also prevents tooth decay. It is said that the siwaak also helps the digestive system as well as causes the teeth to glow! And Allah knows best. Of course, the greatest benefit of these Sunnah products is that it gains the pleasure of Allah and we are rewarded for every time we use it!

The great importance and benefit of using the Miswaak is highlighted in the following of Hadith:


Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, "Had I not thought it difficult for my Ummah, I would have commanded them to use the Miswak (tooth-stick) before every Salat.''

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].






4) Blackseed Oil - My favourite-est oil in the world. Blackseed oil, personally, has benefited me so much, Alhamdulilah! When I have a belly-ache I try to always rub some olive oil on my stomach, if I've hurt myself then I will also apply this. And you know what, its works every time, SubhanAllah. It is particularly helpful if you have a cold as it makes you feel quite warm when applied. It is no surprise then that the Prophet (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:

Aisha (ra) said that she heard the Messenger (saw) say, "This black seed is a cure for every disease except death. " [Saheeh al-Bukharee (5687)].

Note: The Prophet (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) mentioned BLACKSEED in particular, however the oil also also has many benefits which you can read about.





5) Musk - Who needs perfume when you have natural perfumed extracted from the deer? Yes, real musk is extracted from a deer. Cool right? :) Musk is not only beautifully smelling but it too has benefits, such as recently, it has been discovered that musk is a natural antibiotic for treating skin and gentile disease. It is also recommended for women to apply musk, after their menses as Aisha (ra) said that Asthma (ra) asked Rasulullah (salallahu alayhi wasallam) regarding the ghusl after menses.

  He said: “Let one of you take her water and lotus leaves and clean herself well, then let her pour water over her head and rub it vigorously so that it will reach the roots of her hair. Then let her pour the water over herself, then take a piece of cloth scented with musk and purify herself.” Asma’ said: How should she purify herself? He said: “Subhaan-Allaah! Purify yourself with it.” ‘Aa’ishah said – as if she whispered it to her – Follow the traces of blood. (Bukhari)


You usually find Musk come in cubes like the above. You can the rub it and apply it on your skin for example your neck, or alternatively rub some onto a cloth and then apply it to your body.

6) Honey - The final product I want to share benefits about! I love honey. It so so amazing and incredibly beneficial for our health. Today, people are discovering that honey benefits the health as well as the skin. This is why many beauty blogs and articles will recommend honey to be used as an exfoliating mask and some even suggest it helps to grow healthy hair! There are that many benefits of this Sunnah product that I most probably will run out of room to share them with you all. So her is an article I found regarding its benefitshttp://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/10-health-benefits-of-honey 

In terms of its place in the Sunnah, we know that honey is a cure. Allah describes it in the Qur'an as a 'sign' for those who give thought. Honey offers incredible antiseptic, antioxidant and immune boosting property. Honey contains natural sugars, so recently I have replaced the sugr in my tea, with a teaspoon or two of honey. :)

If you want to hold a miracle in your hand then grab a pot of honey!





“There comes forth from their bellies, a drink of varying colour wherein is healing for 
men. Verily, in this is indeed a sign for people who think. [16:69] 

Honey and musk are both products that will also be used by the people of Paradise, subhanAllah. How amazing is that!







Other products I occasionally use that are not from the Sunnah but I find have benefits are:

- Lavender lotions - Most of the time I use olive oil but it if there is any lotion I'd recommend to those who like to apply it from time to time, then it is Lavender. Lavender is so therapeutic and in my opinion, a few sniffs, make you feel so much more relaxed and calmed. (Don't worry, its not a drug!)
- Baby Powder - Oh yeah, who said you have to be a baby to use baby powder? Some perfumes are seriously irritating and make me sneeze so bad, so, as a replacement I bought some baby powder, and you know - its awesome. :)

I really pray this post was beneficial. InshaAllah, this can be the first step we all take into implementing the Sunnah into other areas of our life.

If any of you are interested in some of the products I mentioned above, then give me a shout, as I know a sister who has set up her own business titled 'Sunnah Cures' and sells the above products are a relatively reasonable price!

[Note: Very rare do people have issues/reactions to such products, however there are always exceptions depending on every individual, so I advise a person tries out the products and if their body/skin is fine with it (99% will be) then definitely continue to use it. Generally, they work wonders, MashaAllah. :)]


No comments: