Pages

Sunday 21 September 2014

A Change Of Heart [Memoir]



When I went for a check-up today, one of the medical practitioners greeted me and my mum and then turned to us with a confused expression. She said: "Sorry when I see people with the *waves her finger at our veils*, I don't know if they can speak English or not." She explained that ofcourse she respected that we wore it but always thought there would be a language barrier.
Me and my mum then explained that we could speak English (Alhamdulilah!) and that my mum even worked. She was startled.

As the appointment went on, one of the two practitioners randomly sparked up a discussion. She asked us about the veil and why we wore it. She asked me if I was studying and I told her yes and that I was studying Psychology. Again she was surprised. She asked what was our motive behind wearing the Niqab and how we felt about the current situation relating to Muslim women. Me and my mum gave her as much information as possible as well as personal experiences of why we chose to cover. She was amazed when she heard that Muslim women had so many rights!
Then, as most mum's do, my mum mentioned to her that I was writing a book and that it was in the process of being published. This time, she was taken aback!
A Muslim veiled woman can write a book?! Can't be true...
She was so excited and jotted down the name of the book as well as my name and told us she had read a couple of books on Islam and that she had teenage grandkids so wanted to give the book to them.
I was truly humbled, but was so taken aback myself. How many still have this perception that Muslim women are oppressed? How many people out there, hold good opinions about Muslims yet are made to think otherwise? She even admitted that today people are brainwashed in thinking Muslims are oppressed and are uneducated, subhanAllah.
I pray Allah guides her heart to Islam. I pray He allows us, especially the women of the Ummah, to truly represent Islam through our words and actions, and to educate ourself so we can educate the world and serve His deen, ameen.
If there is anything I or anyone can learn from this... its that there are good people out there, *yearning* to know the truth, so how are we going to go out there and protray it?

No comments: