Pages

Saturday 9 April 2016

A New Beginning

Assalaamu alaykum warahmatullahi wabaraktuhu,

So it's been quite a while since I last wrote anything here. I've been taking a much-needed break from the world of social media, firstly because it was lonnnng overdue and secondly, because I recently got married, wa lilahil hamd. :) I'm only 2 weeks into my marriage yet there are so many things I've learnt, felt, and have adapted to. So many new changes, people, places, feelings, emotions, sights, scenes, smells, tastes, that I could go on writing about it all! However, I've been having certain reflections, related to marriage and also related to change that I wanted to share here.

My husband's family live in the middle-east, in Dubai, so I am here on a visit, currently sitting on a cosy couch listening to the sound of chirping budgies nearby and the occasional aeroplane flying above whilst typing away and munching on chocolate and butter cookies :)

So what's been on my mind?

Let me begin with change. Is it not  amazing how your life can change in the split second? It took two words, a signature and khalas, the tables had turned. I was no longer single, but married, I was no longer part of a one family, but two, who are my own. I was no longer associated with one country or city or place, but two - my birth country but also the country I would be situating to. One of my friends once told me that change is the only constant thing in life. How true that is. Sometimes we get so comfortable in where we are in life that we forget life is constantly changing, always moving. It's change that helps us detach ourself from people, things, situations and places so that we can attach ourselves completely to Allah; so that no matter where in the world He takes us, His remembrance remains alive within our hearts. He is with us wherever we may be, wherever destiny takes us.


Secondly, I've been contemplating on the name Al-Wahhab and Ar-Razzaq. Both myself and my husband are students. I am in my second year of uni and he is in is first. We don't have an income coming in. But we married for the sake of Allah, *with* the certainty and trust in Allah that He would provide for us. Allah says in the Qur'an, "And marry the unmarried among you and the righteous among your male slaves and female slaves. If they should be poor, Allah will enrich them from His bounty, and Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing." (24:32) By Allah, you will receive provision if you have this tawakkul. I am seeing it with my own eyes. The way Allah has provided through means of gifts from generous souls, through means of our parents and family. When there is a will, there is always a way and if you have faith, then Allah will facilitate and make easy that way for you. Our financial status or position or even our age should not hinder us from marriage if we are ready to commit to this beautiful and sacred bond and if we are ready to shoulder the responsibility that comes with marriage.

Thirdly, there is something special about living in a Muslim country. There are so many things I can mention but a few stand out to me. The first is hearing the Adhaan being called five times a day. The other day, I was taking a stroll with my husband when Maghrib Adhaan went off, just hearing the name of Allah being glorified from all directions was phenomenal. My heart felt alive. It also served as a huge reminder of our purpose in life. It's also very beautiful discovering new masaajids, there are so many masjids that when I ask my husband, "which masjid are we going to pray in today?" His reply, "Whichever masjid Allah decrees for us to pray in!" 

I am also humbled at the thought of being able to pray in different masjids because the different grounds we prayed on will testify for us on the DOJ. That in itself is a huge blessing.

Another beautiful thing about being in a Muslim country with stunning tourist attractions is watching the sunset at the beach. There is something about watching the day merge into the night. And its something that can't be described in words. It's a feeling that leaves you silently in awe of the creation of Allah. A feeling that makes your heart feel alive and connected and moved. Emotions that lift your spirits and reminds you of your true meaning and purpose of life. Allah is the Creator of all things. The sustainer of all things. Glory be to Him. The only words that escape our lifts when looking at such a sight is: SubhanAllahi wabihamdihi subhanAllahil Adheem.

Although so many changes have happened in my life, some days I am completely overcome with gratitude. I sit there thinking, what possibly could I do with this feeling of thanks? And then I remember the ayah, "And if you were to count the favours of Allah never would you be able to enumerate them." Alhamdulilah is all I can say. It is Allah who blesses the transitions we go through in life, it is He who makes it easy and it is He who will remain with us. Glory be to Him and all thanks is due to Him.

To be continued inshaAllah :)







  


No comments: