Pages

Wednesday 16 December 2015

"Qur'an Is Happiness"

The other day, I was sitting with my Qur'an teacher discussing tests and struggles and life in general when she confided in me about a test she had faced recently. The rain was drizzling outside, it was dark and gloomy and the topic of discussion made it all the more darker. The atmosphere was tense and she looked worried and slightly sorrowful.
A few moments later, I turned the pages of my mushaf and began to recite Surah Ahqaf. As we continued reciting, I began to feel a sense of peace fill the air. The tension dropped. I paused, turned to her and said along the lines of, "We were just discussing tests and problems yet when we started reading we felt at peace." She replied with a smile on her face, "I was thinking the same. You forget all your problems. The Qur'an is happiness."
Her words, "The Qur'an *is* happiness" struck a chord. I felt it right then. I truly felt the power and miraculous nature of the Qur'an in those moments. It reminded me that the Qur'an truly is a shining lamp in our darkest moments, it comforts us like no other book or person can. It brings peace, tranquility and direction and is the source of all happiness. In our highs and lows it is our companion and it revives our hearts like the rain revives a dry land.
Reciting a few ayahs made all the problems evaporate. It was like the sun had appeared amidst the storm. Yet, I ask myself the same question over and over again, is the Qur'an the first place I rush to seek solace? Do I truly reflect on its verses? Is it my happiness?
As Allah says:
"Has the time not come for those who have believed that their hearts should become humbly submissive at the remembrance of Allah and what has come down of the truth? And let them not be like those who were given the Scripture before, and a long period passed over them, so their hearts hardened; and many of them are defiantly disobedient." (57:17)


No comments: